Pages of my Notebook

Wednesday 31 August 2011

What Is Happening To Music?

I was looking over my posts and I realized: My slogan is Lifestyle. Opinion. Reviews. Links. A Typical Notebook. The problem is, I haven't had very much opinion in the past few posts. So this is where I am going to make a change.

Go on to the iTunes store. Look at the Top Charts. What do you see? Yes, you see a numbered list of songs. And it is an achievement to be on that numbered list of songs. But what is behind that numbered list of songs?

For one thing, it's autotune. Autotune. The deadly tuning technology. The deadly tuning technology that tells a genuinely untalented person they can be on that numbered list of songs. Note I did not say that all the artists on the Charts are untalented, in fact many have a wonderful passion and talent for music, but anyone feels can wail into a microphone, autotune it, and voila, they are the artists of tomorrow. Which is what is happening.

Sure, not all artists use autotune. Most of them do. But if they don't, they usually have loud background music covering up their voices. I am not saying that all artists with a backing track to their song are terrible. But the main part should be the singing and meaning of the lyrics rather than a deafening beat. And at this time of writing, the number one album on the charts is called Nothing But The Beat. See what I mean?
I am going a little bit off topic here, but why is so much music about music? Have songwriters run out of ideas? But music should not be all about, well...music. If you know what I mean.

Sorry for that slight interruption. But I thought I would add that in. So, as I was saying, the number of people saying "Oh, my favourite song is..." and that song just so happens to be the most bought song in the country- has undoubtedly increased. Which means more and more people have a quick check of iTunes before they leave the house, remember number 1 or 2, and if anyone asks- just repeat the name of the song that is number 1 or 2. So musical talent has not only become exploited through a lot of modern music, but music is becoming less judged on quality than on it's rating on the charts.

To summarise, I am not a hater of modern Pop/Rap music. In fact, I actually like it. And there are some very talented artists out there, that are being recognised for the wrong reasons. But I think that music is being exploited, when it is there to be enjoyed, or as a form of art. Sorry that this post has been so negative. Thank you for reading.

Cari.

4 comments:

Lin said...

I had never thought of it that way...but you are right!!!!
XO Lin XO

Cari said...

The reason I really thought of it that way was because I was finding it increasingly hard to find a favourite song...They were basically all the same (not all of them). Thank you for commenting, I love to know what everyone's opinion is!

Cari

Naomi Tastic said...

I really like your older blogs, you should like do more like them OMG I am startin to say like so much so next time I say it tell me! Lol, that sounded much more funny in my head.
NT

Naomi Tastic said...

Also I like your old slogan-but I guessss its my opinz obvzy-doo, and also I said like again and nobody told meee!!NT