Pages of my Notebook

Tuesday 8 November 2011

Saying Sorry is one thing, but Apologizing....Well, that's a whole new story

Have you noticed that when someone owes you an apology, they sometimes just say sorry rather than actually apologising. It seems strange, but there's a huge difference.
Apologies always happen when there is time to say a thorough apology, and the people apologising leave time for you to reply. They are prepared and thought of.
"Sorries" or the fake apology is said in a tone that may seem that they have no time, or they did nothing wrong. It usually happens in the middle of something, and sometimes, the "apologiser" just walks away, not leaving you time to answer, and you are probably left gaping. An insincere apology is worse than not apologising at all. Which, depending on what it is, is quite bad.

I have had this apply to me recently (recently being last month) and an insincere apology just leaves you feeling worse. What's the point if you don't mean it, anyway? It makes me wonder why people apologize like that even when it makes others feel worse.

Cari.

8 comments:

Rachel Coombs said...

I agree with this. When I was little, and I did something wrong, the teachers were always like: "say sorry." So I would say sorry, but just the word, and I never meant it. A real apology usually involves a discussion, whether it's short or long. I really enjoy reading your view on things, you have very interesting ideas, and your writing style is amazing!! :D

~Emzy ♥ Vera~ said...

I am the exact same, when teachers tell you to say sorry, they don't say why, they don't ask for any in-depth feeling they just say 'say sorry.' What is sorry? Its just a word. Same as swear words. There's such a fuss made about them-they are just words. First the curiosity, now this! Lol :)

Rachel Coombs said...

Wow we're the same on a lot of things :D

~Emzy ♥ Vera~ said...

:D Btw Im Emma 2nd name Vera, but I love the name Vera, I love English and Drama and I live in London. Soz that was random....

Rachel Coombs said...

Cool! I love english and drama too! I used to be in the school plays every year, but this year I'm taking a break.
My cousins actually live in london! :) I'm from Maryland, and my name's Rachel. (as the blog says :D)

Cari said...

Sorry I haven't realized there were comments on this but thank you so much Rachel and Vera!!!!!!!!!! This has applied to me- I am owed an apology but the ones I got were "I'm sorry if I upset you but I didn't do anything wrong" and "I'm so sorry but..." *teacher comes in and she runs back to her seat*
Cari

Anonymous said...

don't let it get to you! Don't even give them the satisfaction that you care, be SUPERIOR

Cari said...

Thank you everyone for the good advice!