Pages of my Notebook

Saturday 26 November 2011

Inspirational, Aspirational

I have just been watching the news, and an inspiring story has alerted me.
Monique Van der Vorst is just beyond insprirational. At thirteen, her left leg was paralysed when an operation on her foot went wrong. Three years ago, she was in a cycle crash, and her right leg was paralysed too. While she was paralysed, she trained for the Paralympics and won not one, but two silver medals in the Paralymics (cycling). One day, she started to feel a slight tingling in her legs one day while at Physiotherapy. Soon after, she  could walk again, and she is now training for the Olympics (she is now cycling properly again).

I saw this on the news yesterday, and this story is just so unbelievable. Monique Van der Vorst is such an amazing, determined person and that people like her are the ones who make a difference (people who have had hard times but still stay strong and don't let it get into their way of success). It's amazing that she even hand- cycled after being paralysed, but that she entered the Paralymics and won two Silver medals is incredible, and now when she has recovered, she is training for the Olympics. Wow. She is unbelievable.

A photo of Monique winning a Silver medal at the Paralympics, looking ecstatic.

The wonders of the human body will never cease to amaze me, and I wish all the best for Monique.

Cari.

5 comments:

Cari said...

Monique is such an amazing, inspirational, strong, brave person and I aspire to be as determined as her
Cari

Anonymous said...

wow thats amazing, almost unbelievable.....
great story to blog about!
No one really blogs about stuff in the news!

Cari said...

I only have a couple of blogs about the news but this was something that really opened my eyes to how amazing some people are. as soon as I heard about it, I was logged into my account and blogging about it. This story literally brought tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great story! Thanks for posting, it made be proud to be human :-)

Emma Walker said...

Hi Cari.
Wow! I think this post would certainly be amongst one of my top five. It's so inspirational. Recently I broke my leg (as you all know), and even though I'm not unfortunate enough to have lost any limbs, I still look forward to the day when I can run and jump and do handstands like anyone else, in about three months, hopefully. Reading this really made me think i a life's worth living with nothing to overcome, then a life with a handicap should be twice worth living for. I'm sure you could put that in a neat little quote, but that's the only way I could express it. So thank you for making this possible and a word of advice to Monique: Look at it this way. If you had never lost a limb, you would never had won the Paralympic Silver medal!I have the upmost respect for Paralympians. They are so aspirational.